Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hostile Much

So, I'm currently doing a research project of sorts for our Women's ministry at church. The project is that we have to pick a woman of the Bible, tell her story, and tell how she relates to us. I chose to pick Zipporah, the wife of Moses (the great Israelite Freer) and the mother of his children. My goal was to set out to equate her as his backbone....you know every great man has a strong woman backbone. I started my research, made some amazing discoveries that helped with my theory and then I ran across an explanation of her on one of my favorite Biblical research websites, Biblegateway.com. http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/all-women-bible/Zipporah# As I read it they talked about how she was a hinderance for Moses because she didn't believe the same things as him and how she was a boring woman to end the list of women in the Bible but I completely disagree. They talk about how she had a different belief system than Moses. But the truth of the matter is that Moses was raised Egyptian, so his moral compass was not yet that of an Israelite. There is a story of them where they talk about the fact that God was going to kill Moses and to stop that Zipporah circumcised their child and touched the foreskin to Moses feet. The circumcision is said to have calmed God's appetite for blood. The writer of the article I mentioned said that this could have been avoided if Zipporah had just shared the same belief as Moses. But who's to say that they ever discussed that. There is no writing in the Bible of when Moses learned all of the ways of the Hebrews when he fled Egypt. Where is the evidence that Moses even wanted his children circumcised. I choose to see this as an attack on women. Since the fall of Eve, women have been looked at as the cause of such affliction. Yes, Eve fell. But so did ADAM!! We have been the bad guys since the beginning of time. Just someone to blame when things don't go right. BUT, I do not choose to see Zipporah as that. I choose to see her as Moses confidant. The one who kept him from going crazy when things got rough. The one who made his exile from Egypt comfortable and bearable. I wanted to write to the writer of the passage on the website but I couldn't find anywhere to write. But I was angry and offended and hurt by it and I knew I needed to write it out......no more holding things in (but that's another post lol). So here it is. As pointless as it may seem to you, it meant amazing therapy for me. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment