Friday, March 11, 2011

Thank God For Music

I'm sitting here and I have my iTunes Dj directing the musical stylings for the day and I am realizing how blessed we are to have music. I don't verbalize my feelings well in the least bit. But music has always been that bit of an escape for me. If I'm happy, if I'm sad, if I'm missing someone, if I'm angry - to bite off of the apple slogan- there's a song for that. I don't have to do anything but listen and it's almost like whatever is wrong just disappears. Combine music and writing and I can't have a bad day.

I like to think back to when I was a little girl and would sing in my hair brush, in my room, with the music turned all the way. Just shutting out everything that is wrong with the world. Okay, let me tell they truth that was me just earlier today. Music has the ability to make you feel sexy, untouchable, angelic, anything that you need to feel music can do that.

Not only does it make me feel every emotion I need to feel but it also let's me know that everything is okay. When I'm listening to music and the writer is writing about what I'm feeling I know that I'm not crazy. That I'm not the only one who's gone through this, or felt this way, or made this mistake. It's theraputic.

Whether I need reassurance that God loves me, or that love is hard sometimes, or that it's okay to not be "in love" at the moment; music provides that. It doesn't need for me to explain what's wrong. Or to know who did it. Or why I made the decisions I did. It just fixes everything - at least for the moment. It even gives advice.

In brown sugar, Sanaa Lathan's character was writing a book that she penned as her love letter to hip-hop. And while I love hip-hop I can't limit my love letter to just one genre. A song from every different style of music has entered my body at a point and healed some part of me. So this blog post is my love letter to music. One of the true loves of my life. You never really disappoint me. Even if I dislike one song or one album or even one genre there is another one right there that makes me fall in love all over again. The way you touch my emotions makes me feel like you must know voodoo. You empower me, you take over me, you make me laugh, you make me cry and I love you for that. You embody everything that I need in life and so much more-- now if only I could find you in man form everything would be all gravy...I love you, I need you, I want you, and I am so blessed to have you!

No comments:

Post a Comment